You made it – after weeks or months of searching for and finally finding (with the help of your trusted Realtor) your dream home! It’s all behind you now - the angst of negotiating an acceptable offer, the fear of what may be found in the termite and home inspection reports, the biting of nails and wringing of hands while awaiting the final financing approvals; and the potential deal breaker - a home appraisal, which thankfully was right on the money! At last, the day has arrived, you’re getting ready for the closing and you want to ensure that there are no last minute surprises that could delay or prevent this final step to home ownership!
Browse the “to-do” list below, which will hopefully help save you a few headaches and keep the closing on track:
- Keep extra money in your account. Something unexpected can pop up during the closing that will require more money out of your pocket.
- Have your Realtor arrange a before-closing inspection to walk through the property to confirm all is in order.
- Be sure to have your personal ID - a driver’s license or other acceptable identification.
- Take your checkbook, or if possible, find out how much you will need to pay at closing (if any) and write a certified check for the total amount.
- Have access to your loan commitment letter in the event a mistake or misunderstanding with the lender should occur.
- Arrange in advance to have the water, electric, waste pick up, cable, and other anticipated utility services switched to your name to prevent interrupted service. Check with your Realtor, lender or closing attorney if you have questions or concerns before the hour of closing.
- Breathe deeply and prepare to sign LOTS of documents.
- Get your keys to your new home and consider having new locks or door locks re-keyed.
- Last, but not least – Celebrate!